Sunday 4 March 2012

Work. Life. Balance.

So, I had three days off work and put them to very good use travelling to a few spots and rediscovering skateboarding. These first steps have been very satisfying so far and I've achieved what I've set out to do on each occasion.

Going back to work means no skateboarding however, and I have to return to being a gas engineer until Thursday. A few rest days are always needed in both work and skateboarding though and they sit beside each other quite comfortably.

An attempt at a Saran Wrap, Cramond, 2008. Not landed on this occasion, but I could pull it off at times.
 Work is an essential part of my life and as much as noone is entirely happy at their job, it brings opportunities, either financially or otherwise. My work allows me to travel far a fair bit and with every destination I now see new possibilities, new places I could travel to on my days off. With my board. 

The trip to St. Andrews reminded me of how much fun it is to do freestyle (now widely referred to as flatland). It can't be denied that the street skating of today has it's roots firmly planted in freestyle, but at the time it seemed that it was just a quirky sideline to the "proper" skateboarding that the guys on the big boards did.

What was it about these little boards with no discernable shape and their tiny little trucks?
 

 Primo Desiderio invented the "primo slide" which involves sliding one edge of the board along the ground whilst standing on the other.


While there was undeniably a lot of skill involved in freestyle skateboarding, it was only a small minority that entertained it. I wasn't one of them. For starters, you needed a special board. The massive "pigs" and fish-tails that we rode at the the time just weren't suitable, they were far too heavy and bulky.

But, if nothing else, the main reason was that having a second board, just wasn't financially viable when it was your parents that bought them!

Nowadays I buy my own boards and I've had my eye on a freestyle deck. As I already have freestyle trucks (indy 101s)  in the shed, so it would be an easy way to get a new arrow in the quiver.

I've never owned a freestyle setup but it's probably best to go for a nu-skool complete setup first as I can already sense that the Vallely board has it's limitations. We'll see what happens on payday...

Powell Peralta Kevin Harris "Mountie" freestyle reissue deck.. WANT!

When I produced the last video I forgot to include this, an attempt at a stationary frontside 360. Was fun trying it, but it will take a lifetime to master freestyle I think...

No comments: